The Scottish National Party is a social-democratic political party in Scotland.
The Scottish Government has set out its budget plans for the year ahead.
Here’s how the Scottish budget means families in Scotland get the best deal anywhere in the UK.
- We continue to have the fairest income tax anywhere in the UK with 55 per cent of taxpayers paying less in Scotland than they would elsewhere in the UK.
- Our budget will deliver almost £730 million extra investment for health and care services.
- The budget allocates investment of almost £500 million to expand early learning and childcare through staff recruitment and training and 750 new, expanded or refurbished nurseries. By the end of this parliament, we’ll increase the provision of free, high quality childcare to 30 hours a week.
- We will continue to fund the Baby Box, giving every child born in Scotland the everyday essentials that they need.
- We will increase funding to raise attainment in our schools to £180 million this year – with most going direct to headteachers to help ensure all young people can fulfil their potential.
- We will continue to protect free university tuition – there will be no tuition fees under the SNP.
- We will continue to deliver the devolved social security system based on dignity, fairness and respect through Social Security Scotland, committing £435 million in assistance directly to those who need it most.
- We will invest a record sum of over £825 million towards our pledge to build 50,000 affordable homes in this Parliamentary term.
- We will maintain changes to Scottish stamp duty – Land and Buildings Transaction Tax – to ensure that 80 per cent of first time buyers don’t pay the tax at all.
- We will continue to invest £50 million Tackling Child Poverty Fund to address the underlying causes of child poverty.
- We will continue to provide funding to local government partners to provide School Clothing Grants to eligible families.